Monday, February 13, 2012

Cheli's Chili


                This past weekend I went to Cheli’s Chili with my family. I love this place. First reason- They have great food. Second reason- My family and I are die-hard Red Wings fans. Third reason- I’m Greek.
                Let me skip to my second reason for a minute. This restaurant is owned by Chris Chelios, former Red Wings defenseman. A great player. So of course, this restaurant is Red Wings themed. Ding ding ding! Perfect for my family and me!
                Cheli’s Chili has great food and so many options to choose from. Of course, Cheli’s Chili specializes in chili (obviously). But then there are so many other options like sandwiches, burgers, pizzas, and the list goes on.
                So to start, we ordered some saganaki. Being Greek, I love saganaki. If you don’t know what that is, it’s the cheese that’s lit on fire, and when the flame “explodes”, you yell, “Opa!” I don’t get to have saganaki that often, so when I do, it’s a real treat. Cheli’s Chili has great saganaki that they serve with pita bread to put the cheese on. If you ever go to Cheli’s Chili or any Greek restaurant, please please please order the saganaki! (The reason this Greek dish is served at a chili place is due to the fact that Chris Chelios is Greek.)
                After our saganaki was devoured (I’m not kidding; it was gone in seconds), we got our food. I ordered the Bavarian ham and Swiss sandwich, which was oh-so-good. The ham and Swiss cheese, along with some sort of sauce, was on warm pretzel bread. I had never had pretzel bread before, and I had been missing out. I absolutely loved this sandwich. It was warm, the cheese was melty, and the pretzel bread was so good. My brother and my mom also ordered the same thing, both loving it too. My dad ordered the chicken hani, which he also enjoyed. Both my parents have gotten the chili before, both loving that too. My friend came with us, and she ordered the reuben, which she said was really good. My aunt, uncle, and cousin also came with us; my cousin and uncle ordered burgers (which they enjoyed), and my aunt ordered the Bavarian ham and Swiss sandwich too.
                While we were there, there was a live band, which created a fun atmosphere; some people even started dancing. It’s a loud restaurant, especially with all the sports games going on. I haven’t been there when there’s a Red Wings game, but when there is, sirens and lights flash go off whenever the Red Wings score. That’s the next best thing to actually being at a game.
                There are three Cheli’s Chili locations in the metro Detroit area, one in Detroit by Comerica Park (which would be perfect to go to before a Red Wings, Tigers, or Lions game), one in Dearborn, and one in Clinton Township. We went to the one in Clinton Township, but I’d love to go to the one in Detroit before or after a Wings game. Cheli’s Chili is a great place for food and a great place for Red Wings fans. 
Photo from: http://www.thehenryford.org/attractions/attractions_detail.asp?editId=169

No comments:

Post a Comment